Yet another late night baking adventure in Cassandra’s kitchen!! This one began with a little inspiration.. Living Healthy With Chocolate’s Paleo Chocolate Covered Thin Mint Fudge Brownies. *Drool.* I’ve had this recipe open in my browser for 2 weeks now, and last night I decided it was time to make them! However, I wanted to make them nut free, as I’ve recently discovered that myself, among many others who follow a paleo diet, have difficulty tolerating nuts. So I searched through probably every coconut flour brownie recipe on the internet, before beginning my kitchen shenanigans! I started off with one recipe.. part way through switched to another.. and ended up abandoning ship and doing my own thing! I do NOT recommend doing this.. honestly I’m surprised that these even turned out!! I experiment a lot in the kitchen, and most of the time it hails sub-par results, but then sometimes… pure genius happens! And these.. are pure genius! If I do say so myself. =) These miraculous brownies are rich and velvety, with a cool hint of mint. If you’ve tried my Super Gooey Chocolate Coma Brownies, this variety produces less gooey, but much more fudge-like brownies! They remind me of a cross between a brownie and a piece of old style mint chocolate fudge. Mmm! Beneath the decadent chocolatey flavour, the use of coconut butter imparts a cream cheese-like taste, and helps to create their smooth texture. Don’t be fooled however, despite the use of many coconut products, these brownies do not taste like coconut! They are perfectly chocolatey and minty, with just the right amount of sweetness, while only containing natural sweeteners! Did I mention they are dairy free, and grain free as well?! And for all you mint/chocolate haters out there.. I have 2 things to say to you.. 1. You’re crazy! and 2. You can make the chocolate coating without the mint! I like to cater to all palettes. =)
Now make these brownies, and enjoy!! =)
Paleo Nut-Free Brownies
Gluten free, grain free, refined sugar free, dairy free, nut free
1 cup + 2tbsp cocoa or cacao powder
1/6 tsp baking soda (a little more than an 1/8, but not a full 1/4)
1/2 cup coconut butter, slightly melted
1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
6 tbsp coconut oil (I use refined, so it doesn’t have the coconut flavour)
6 tbsp honey (I use creamed, and warm it up so it’s runny)
2 tsp Truvia baking blend (or an additional 1 tbsp honey)
1 tbsp vanilla extract
Mint Chocolate Coating:
5 tbsp cocoa or cacao powder
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 tbsp coconut butter
2 tbsp honey (add more to taste if needed!)
3 drops of peppermint extract (adjust to taste)
Preheat oven to 350°F.
1. Combine all wet ingredients in a large bowl, and beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
2. Add cocoa, truvia, and baking soda, and beat again until incorporated.
3. Pour into a 9X9 parchment paper lined pan, and bake for 15 – 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Check after 15 minutes.. better a little gooey than overdone! =)
4. Place brownies in the freezer for 20 minutes or so, until cool.
5. In the meantime, combine mint chocolate coating ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat, and stir until melted.
6. Pour chocolate coating over cooled brownies, and chill until chocolate has hardened.
7. Eat them up!!! Store in a sealed container in the fridge.
^^^ I had some coconut butter chunks in mine.. fine with me =)