Before our gluten and sugar free days, one of my sister and I’s favourite treats were Oatmeal Caramel White Chocolate Chip Squares. Filled with brown sugar, caramel ice cream topping, and white chocolate confectionery, they were definitely an ultra-sweet treat, but the furthest thing from healthy. Well the other day, I decided I wanted them. However, there was NO way I was going to put all of that processed sugar into my little body! So I practically emptied my pantry onto my kitchen counter, and got to work! =)
The result? A soft and crumbly, cookie-like crust, sweet smooth caramel, and velvety white chocolate. All combined to create this decadently gooey dessert that will make you want to eat another.. and another!! And let me tell you.. I will always make homemade white chocolate from now on!! I have never been a huge fan of how sicky sweet store-bought white chocolate is. In my opinion, it just doesn’t belong in the chocolate family! However, this homemade version is dairy free, refined sugar free, and is made with organic cocoa butter, which lends a creamy and real chocolatey taste! That’s right, white chocolate that actually tastes like chocolate! Just thinking about it makes me want to whip up another batch, so on that note..
Oatmeal Caramel White Chocolate Chip Squares
Gluten Free, Refined Sugar Free, Egg Free
1/3 cup creamed honey
1/3 cup melted cocoa butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp coconut flour
2 tbsp water
1/4 cup coconut palm sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup coconut milk
1 tbsp butter
1 cup almond flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
1 3/4 cup oats
1/4 cup coconut palm sugar
1/8 cup Steviva Blend (or an additional 1/4 cup coconut palm sugar)
3/4 cup butter
1. Melt the cocoa butter in a pot on medium low heat, then pour it into a bowl.
2. Add the honey (I used creamed, but liquid might work) and vanilla, and whisk it! Lots!! It doesn’t want to combine but it will!
3. Whisk in 2 tbsp coconut flour.. don’t worry, it doesn’t make it have too much of a coconut-y flavour, and it’s necessary for binding!!
4. Place in freezer until set.
1. Place water and coconut palm sugar in a pot, and bring to a boil, stirring constantly so it doesn’t burn.
2. Add coconut milk and vanilla, and let it boil on medium heat for about 10-15 minutes, stirring constantly as well. The mixture will slowly begin to thicken into a dark caramel!
3. Once thickened, remove from heat, and stir in butter.
4. Allow it to sit and cool.
Preheat oven to 350°F.
1. Cream butter and sugars.
2. Add almond flour, coconut flour, and oats, and mix well.
3. Pat half the batter into an 8 inch parchment lined or ungreased pan, and bake for 10 minutes.
4. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
5. Cut the white chocolate into little chunks, and spread over the crust, then pour and spread the caramel over the chocolate. Crumble the remaining oatmeal batter on top.
6. Bake for 20 minutes, or until edges and crumble on top are starting to become golden.
7. Enjoy this unbelievable yummy treat!!
*Note: If you choose to use homemade white chocolate, it will melt inside the squares, and will kind of meld together with the caramel. But don’t worry. The taste is still very much there, and it’s freaking awesome!