Costco carries this granola that embodies exactly what I love about granola.. sweet, nutty flavour, a hearty texture, and that perfect crunch with every bite. Sounds great right?… Wrong! Because sadly, it’s laden with sugar, wheat flour, and canola oil. Sigh, and to think I used to eat that stuff by the container full!! Well luckily, I have an amazing recipe to replace it that’s full of healthy oils, natural sweeteners, and none of that gluten stuff. Purely nuts and seeds, this granola is super versatile, and extra delicious!! I make it for my dad (who is not paleo) all the time, and as he would say, he “eats it like a wild banchee!” I think that means he likes it!! =)
Paleo Coconut Butter Granola – Adapted from How Sweet It Is
Grain Free, Gluten Free, Sugar Free, Dairy Free
Nuts and seeds – You can use any you want, but I usually use around 5 cups total. The following is an example of what I might use:
1 1/2 cups slivered almonds
1 cup coconut
3/4 cup pecan pieces
3/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup flax seeds
Optional: 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup coconut butter
4 tbsp coconut oil
2 tsp vanilla
Preheat oven to 350°F.
1. Heat wet ingredients in a small pot, on low, until melted.
2. Pour over nut/seed mixture and stir.
3. Bake for 10 minutes, stir, bake 10 minutes more, stir, then bake for approximately 10 more minutes, stirring every 2-3 minutes until golden.
4. Cool until hardened. If you want more clumps, you can use your hands to clump it together a bit while it’s still warm.
5. Store in an airtight container.
*Note: This recipe is so easily adaptable! Change up the nuts! Add dried fruit! Add cinnamon, or other spices, or chocolate! Sometimes I use part coconut butter, and part almond butter, depending on if I want a sweeter, or nuttier flavour. Play!