My grandma’s apple crisp has always been my favourite dessert. For every holiday and family dinner, I would ask her to make it, and she happily obliged. When I found out she didn’t use a recipe, I went over to her house one day to make it with her, carefully taking note of each ingredient and measurement so that, with luck, I could duplicate it myself – and that I did! This dessert became my go-to, and was always RAVED about…. but then I went gluten and sugar free. Now how the heck was I supposed to replicate the BEST DESSERT EVER without pillowy flour and sweet brown sugar?! Well I can’t say my new version is as amazing as my Grandma’s, but I can say that it comes pretty darn close!! Using gluten free oats and nut flours, I’ve been able to mimic that crumbly, almost cookie like texture of the crisp, while a mix of coconut palm sugar and honey gives it that light sweetness, reminiscent of brown sugar. Baked over top of warm, soft fruit, and spiced with cinnamon… this makes for the perfect fall dish!! Plus for me, this new recipe means no stomach ache afterwards! Serve warm with coconut milk ice cream, on it’s own.. or eat it cold for breakfast the next day. Either way, this treat is the ultimate in (almost) guilt free comfort food! =)
Gluten Free Apple Crisp
Gluten Free, Refined Sugar Free
3 apples (Or any variety of fruit! The picture above is a mix of blueberries and apples!)
1/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup pecan flour
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
1/2 cup slightly softened butter
2 tbsp. honey
1 tsp. cinnamon + more for apples
Preheat oven to 350°F.
1. Peel, and chop apples into small pieces. Sprinkle and toss the apples (and/or other fruit) with cinnamon.
2. Place fruit into a 7×5, or any small, casserole dish. You may need more or less fruit, just fill the dish!
3. Combine all other ingredients, mixing with a fork into a soft crumble.
4. Pat crumble mixture overtop of the apples.
5. Bake for approximately 40 minutes, until golden brown, however this could be anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour!
6. Share with friends, family, and enjoy!