This pie. It’s banana-y, it’s coconut-y, it’s creamy, it’s heaven. It will fool any paleo-hater out there!! Sometimes I nix the crust and eat the filling on it’s own for a yummy custard treat! Either way, it’s freaking delicious!
Paleo Banana Coconut Cream Pie
Grain Free, Gluten Free, Sugar Free, Dairy Free
2 cups almond flour
3/4 cup coconut flour
3 tbsp melted butter
2 ripe bananas
1 can full fat coconut milk
1/3 cup honey
3 egg yolks
1/8 cup + 1 tbsp arrowroot flour
1 tbsp coconut butter (or butter if you’re okay with dairy)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup toasted coconut + more for topping if desired
Preheat oven to 350°F.
1. Mix melted butter into coconut and almond flours, and pat into a pie pan.
2. Bake for 10 minutes.
3. Toast 1/2 cup coconut in the oven for around 5 minutes, until nice and golden brown. This may takes longer, or may be quicker, so make sure to watch it! You may need to stir it around once or twice as well.
4. Now for the custard! In a pot on medium high heat, bring coconut milk and honey to a simmer.
5. Whisk egg yolks in a small bowl, and slowly add about 3/4 cup of the hot milk mixture to temper. Then add it back into the pot.
6. Dissolve the arrowroot powder with some hot milk to make a thin paste, then add it back to the pot as well.
7. Bring mixture to a boil, then allow it to simmer for 4-6 minutes, until thick.
8. Remove from heat, and add coconut butter, vanilla and 1/2 cup toasted coconut.
9. Line the crust with thinly sliced banana, then pour the custard over top. Top with coconut, and fresh bananas, refrigerate, and serve!
*Note: You can use any nuts you would like for the crust! I sometimes use walnut flour as well (I grind all my own nut flours in my Magic Bullet), and experiment with different proportions. You may need a little bit more or less butter for the crust, you want the nuts to stick together just enough to be able to pat them into the pan! Play around with it!